Thursday 24 January 2013

The Nuts Challenge


Yes, its official, I think I am Nuts! Towards the end of last year I found myself signing up for The Nuts Challenge on 2nd March 2013.

The Nuts Adverture Race is approx a 7km course over one of the most challenging military assault courses in the world.  It is located in Dorking, Surrey.

Owned and run by ex parachute regiment soldiers, who themselves take part in various challenges around the world.  The Nuts Challenge is designed to push the individual to the limit.

Highlights of the course include:

Hell River
Hamburger Hill
The Bunks
Tunnel Rats
The Chindits Revenge
The Somme
Ecape from Arnhem
GoodMorning Vietnam
Kamikaze
The Bomb Crater
Spiders Web

You can watch last years video (September): The Nuts Challenge

As someone who hates heights, rats and snakes I'm hoping I'll only have to confront my fear of heights on this challenge.

When I signed, I stupidly assumed March would be lovely, balmy Spring-like weather!  Given the recent snow along with some Facebook images the Nuts guys posted, I'm now wondering how I'm going to survive the cold/wet/muddy conditions!!

Photo: Chilli Nuts, anyone up for a winter challenge

Although I am probably bonkers, I have really enjoyed the training for it, I can now run about 6 miles 3 times a week, plus attend 3-4 boot camp sessions!  I hadn't realised how much I would enjoy boot camp, but the people that run it and the other people that attend are just fab and I have lots of new friends as a result.

Plus I am doing it for a fantastic cause.  Just before Christmas one of my daughters class mates, Lauren Silverlock, passed away at just 9 years old.  Lauren was a fantastic, happy child that always brough a smile to anyones face that she met.  Her parents
Louise & Suart Silverlook are in the process of setting up a charity. 

Lauren had regular hydrotherapy sessions and this new charity will help raise funds for children like Lauren to be able to have hydrotherapy on a regular basis.  The provision for supply hydrotherapy through the NHS are extremely limited, there is currently no other funding for this type of support.  Lauren used to love her session giving her the opportunity to succeed plus the benefits were amazing.



So if you would like to sponsor me to go and get wet, muddy and cold, it is for a fantastic cause to raise some funds in memory of a special little girl. 

I'll keep you posted on training plus of course some muddy pictures of the day.  Plus I will be signing up again for September 2013 so if you want to join me, just let me know.  Thanks

4 comments: