Monday 14 November 2011

A weekend of baking


Having twins is amazing and so much fun, but we are always really conscious to ensure we spend some quality time alone with our eldest daughter (7).  Although she is fantastic with the twins, she loves spending time with us and doing grown up things.  Saturday was the perfect time, hubby was out at the Races all day, so I packed up the 3 kids and took the 2 minute journey to my parents house.

My parents kept the twins occupied, while me and my daughter gatherered together our ingredients to practice baking our Christmas biscuits.  I had bought some fantastic biscuit cutters in my local cook shop http://www.cookshop.uk.com/ - they have such an abundance of gadgets and kitchen equipment I have to really hold back spending a fortune.  I purchased cutters shaped like a Christmas Tree, a star, an angel (when iced could be a ghost!) and a beautiful tin of 3 different sized snowflakes.

The biscuits would make great gifts (if we bake nearer Christmas), plus my daughter has recently started at Brownies and needs to donate cakes/biscuits for the Christmas Fayre, so we thought with a bit of practice the Christmas biscuits will be perfect.

Despite a few minor interupptions from the twins coming in to the kitchen to see what was going on, we had a great time together.  My daughter had a lovely time and is a really keen little cook, she follows recipes really well, weighing out ingredients, plus eating the mix and icing of course!

(recipe to follow)


On Sunday, eldest daughter took part in the Rememberance Parade with her Brownie pack . When we got home she announced she would like to bake fairy cakes all on her own.  She found a recipe, weighed out the ingredients, mixed together her cakes and put them into cake cases with no assistance from me!  I popped them into the oven and removed when she decided time was up!  She waited until they had cooled and then decorated with bright blue or pink icing.   The resulting cakes looked lovely and she was incredibly proud she had done them all on her own.  She merrily packed 6 into a lunch box and shot round to our next door neighbour with her gifts.  The neighbour was delighted and she came back merrily carrying a packet of sweets they had given her. 3 of the cakes were given to her grandparents and one went off to school in her lunch box. 

I managed to have one of the last remaining cakes and can proudly say I am very impressed with my little baker! 



No comments:

Post a Comment